the creation of an artificial mind

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

the creation of an artificial mind

Post by falkor » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:39 am

Comments (38)
Professor Markram claims he plans to build an electronic human brain 'within the next ten years'
By Michael Hanlon
Last updated at 8:45 AM on 11th August 2009

There are only a handful of scientific revolutions that would really change the world. An immortality pill would be one. A time machine would be another.
Faster-than-light travel, allowing the stars to be explored in a human lifetime, would be on the shortlist, too.

To my mind, however, the creation of an artificial mind would probably trump all of these - a development that would throw up an array of bewildering and complex moral and philosophical quandaries. Amazingly, it might also be within reach.
For while time machines, eternal life potions and Star Trek-style warp drives are as far away as ever, a team of scientists in Switzerland is claiming that a fully-functioning replica of a human brain could be built by 2020.

This isn't just pie-in-the-sky. The Blue Brain project, led by computer genius Henry Markram - who is also the director of the Centre for Neuroscience & Technology and the Brain Mind Institute - has for the past five years been engineering the mammalian brain, the most complex object known in the Universe, using some of the most powerful supercomputers in the world.

And last month, Professor Markram claimed, at a conference in Oxford, that he plans to build an electronic human brain 'within ten years'.

If he is right, nothing will be the same again. But can such an extraordinary claim be credible? When we think of artificial minds, we inevitably think of the sort of machines that have starred in dozens of sci-fi movies.
Indeed, most scientists - and science fiction writers - have tended to concentrate on the nuts and bolts of robotics: how you make artificial muscles; how you make a machine see and hear; how you give it realistic skin and enough tendons and ligaments underneath that skin to allow it to smile convincingly.

But what tends to be glossed over is by far the most complex problem of all: how you make a machine think.

This problem is one of the central questions of modern philosophy and goes to the very heart of what we know, or rather do not know, about the human mind.
Most of us imagine that the brain is rather like a computer. And in many ways, it is. It processes data and can store quite prodigious amounts of information.

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Re: the creation of an artificial mind

Post by DarkKnight » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 am

Bloody hell !!! :o
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

AMYROSE
Rookie Investigator
Rookie Investigator

Post by AMYROSE » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:14 pm

NO ONE here can possibly be fooled into believing this is anything other than another money laundering scheme!!!

We can't build pyramids - our ancestors could.

At the moment we don't have the foresight in this country to build a bridge that doesn't sway!

From the many millions of drugs available today and created by modern man - can anyone name just three that cure anything? That's asking for at most one in a million.

I for one don't believe we landed on the Moon. I saw the luna landing 'capsule' (an expression that is fitting for its size) at the Science Museum in Kensington and I wouldn't trust it to survive a low impact car crash - it was a joke.

I've also posted clear cut, empirical evidence as to why we have not discovered an 'exo planet' in another galaxy to expose another scam, like this one, perpetrated to induce agreement into the sophoric minds of the general populus in order to give moronic agreement to the ridiculous sums of money wasted by scientists each year on nothing.

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I think thats mad and amazing... why not? I beieve computers will end up bio rather than mechanical eventually so why not build a brain of a kind its no different to build a computer... just start simple and it will get more complex with time.

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:02 pm

mj12cz wrote:I think thats mad and amazing... why not? I beieve computers will end up bio rather than mechanical eventually so why not build a brain of a kind its no different to build a computer... just start simple and it will get more complex with time.

Crazy science if you ask me.

psychbunny
Investigator
Investigator

Post by psychbunny » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:33 pm

mj12cz wrote:I think thats mad and amazing... why not? I beieve computers will end up bio rather than mechanical eventually so why not build a brain of a kind its no different to build a computer... just start simple and it will get more complex with time.
I really wish I could remember the bloke's name - but it was something one of my lecturer's always went on about. There's a guy (really specific, I know, but he had a beard I think - if that helps) who does research into artificial brains, and his general theory is that if you build it, in time, the mind will come.

We'll never recreate a human mind from purely mechanical structures - how do you programme something as "simple" as common sense into one?!
oOOoooOOOoo...Shiney...

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I just don't think its possible to create artificial life from mechanics.

psychbunny
Investigator
Investigator

Post by psychbunny » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 am

DarkKnight wrote:I just don't think its possible to create artificial life from mechanics.
I agree. I don't think we'll be able to create life from mechanics, but I think it'll be the other way, we'll end up making the biological more artificial.
oOOoooOOOoo...Shiney...

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:53 pm

this is the sort of technology that will end up in starships
Michael_Curator writes
"It's no secret that commercial airplanes are heavily computerized, but as the mystery of Air France Flight 447 unfolds, we need to come to grips with the fact that in many cases, airline pilots' hands are tied when it comes to responding effectively to an emergency situation. Boeing planes allow pilots to take over from computers during emergency situations, Airbus planes do not. It's not a design flaw — it's a philosophical divide. It's essentially a question of what do you trust most: a human being's ingenuity or a computer's infinitely faster access and reaction to information. It's not surprising that an American company errs on the side of individual freedom while a European company is more inclined to favor an approach that relies on systems. As passengers, we should have the right to ask whether we're putting our lives in the hands of a computer rather than the battle-tested pilot sitting up front, and we should have right to deplane if we don't like the answer."
when you fly, do you know whether the pilot can override the computers? Yes or No? :?

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 am

psychbunny wrote:
DarkKnight wrote:I just don't think its possible to create artificial life from mechanics.
I agree. I don't think we'll be able to create life from mechanics, but I think it'll be the other way, we'll end up making the biological more artificial.

Aye probably, look out for Robocop and T-101's soon...

falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Post by falkor » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:12 pm

hehe yeah I saw I - ROBOT :lol:

:oooeerr: sheesh those 3 laws heh?
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law
well, that should do it :b-)

7thsister
LLankhmar Gatherer
LLankhmar Gatherer

Post by 7thsister » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Bladerunner :vwide:
Twinkle twinkle little star

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 pm

falkor wrote:hehe yeah I saw I - ROBOT :lol:

:oooeerr: sheesh those 3 laws heh?
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law
well, that should do it :b-)

The thing is if we ever do get AI sorted we will have to have simular laws.

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm

I prefer....

...serve the public trust...
...protect the innocents...
...uphold the law...

Robocop - Directives
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8W6vDo_L3w