Territorial Army 2009

Hey anything goes BUT friendly not foey!!
falkor
Cleric
Cleric

Territorial Army 2009

Post by falkor » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:08 am

From The Times | October 10, 2009

Michael Evans, Defence Editor

The Territorial Army has been told to stop training for six months to save millions of pounds from the Army’s budget because of growing financial pressure on the Ministry of Defence.

Drill-hall instruction, weekend exercises and all other training associated with the TA will stop, cutting costs by about £20 million.

The Land Force budget of the Army has been cut by £54 million, and the TA is the first to be affected. The huge cut in TA spending will mean that the weekend warriors will not be paid. “They are paid to go training, and if there is no training, they won’t get paid,” a Ministry of Defence official said.

Image T.A. soldiers
A spokesman insisted that the savings and the ban on training would not affect the TA’s operational contribution to Afghanistan, where about 500 Territorial soldiers are serving. There are also ten TA soldiers in Iraq.

The spokesman said that TA training for Afghanistan would carry on as normal. TA soldiers train with their regular army counterparts, before deployment to Helmand province. The MoD’s pledge to keep the operational TA safe from cuts was, however, greeted with scepticism by senior officers in the volunteer reserve force. “This is dangerous. When you cancel training at one end, it is bound to have an impact through the TA, especially if this goes on longer than six months,” one senior TA officer told The Times. “If the MoD shuts the whole place down and says, ‘Come back in April’, there will be a number of TA members who will just go off and find something else to do, and all the skills they have learnt will fatigue.”

That would have repercussions throughout the TA, and could eventually affect the availability of volunteers for Afghanistan and other operations, he said.

One MoD official said that care would have to be taken to ensure that the temporary suspension of training did not undermine the TA’s role in Afghanistan. The official also said that, given the budget restrictions, the training suspension could last longer. The annual budget for the TA is about £143 million. The TA officer said: “This decision means that people’s advancement and promotion within the TA will be arrested, and the MoD will find it cannot get recruits to join the TA if the whole thing is being put in mothballs. You cannot suspend training and expect people to come back as normal six months later.

Paxovasa
Hunter
Hunter
Holy: Hunter

Re: Territorial Army 2009

Post by Paxovasa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:44 am

They really have not got a clue :roll: They should be upping the budget and not cutting it.. :br:
We come in peace - shoot to kill.

I aint no pleb

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Paxovasa wrote:They really have not got a clue :roll: They should be upping the budget and not cutting it.. :br:

I know mate, its just the usual bureaucracy, the soldiers out there fighting right now are on average wages at best.

Sad but true. :roll:
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

mj12cz
Cleric
Cleric

Post by mj12cz » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:04 pm

This really bugs me, we are in the middle of a war so they cut MOD spending! its just insane!

DarkKnight
Paranormal Investigator
Paranormal Investigator

Post by DarkKnight » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:51 pm

mj12cz wrote:This really bugs me, we are in the middle of a war so they cut MOD spending! its just insane!

Thats Labour for you !
'' It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me ''

Paxovasa
Hunter
Hunter
Holy: Hunter

Post by Paxovasa » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am

WTF
We come in peace - shoot to kill.

I aint no pleb

mj12cz